About 40% of people with a history of gastric bypass have experienced dumping syndrome. It is possible with the vertical sleeve gastrectomy as well. In order to prevent dumping, follow the tips below:
- Avoid concentrated sugars like soda or juice
- Reduce saturated fats to 5gm per serving, which are in animal fats/skin, cream, butter, ultra processed snacks and fried foods
- Limit added sugars to 5gm per serving which are items like honey, high fructose corn syrup, or agave
- Do not eat and drink together. Wait 30 minutes after finishing a meal before drinking again
- It is not necessary to avoid the naturally occurring sugars in fruits, whole grains, beans, and low fat dairy.
Isom, K. A., & Majumdar, M. (2022). Pocket guide to bariatric surgery. Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.