Are You A Candidate?
Is Weight Loss Surgery For You?
Use our BMI Calculator below to find out if you are a candidate for weight loss surgery.
Find out if weight loss surgery is right for you:To qualify for gastric bypass surgery, you must meet the following criteria:
- 100 lbs over ideal weight or a BMI of more than 40, with or without co-morbid conditions.
- A BMI between 30 and 40 also may qualify with associated co-morbid conditions such as high blood pressure, sleep apnea, heart disease or diabetes.
- Previous weight-loss efforts including: medically supervised diet plans, also exercise and behavioral modification programs that have been unsuccessful.
- You understand the procedure and accept the lifestyle changes you will need to make after bariatric surgery.
- You are motivated to make a lifelong behavioral commitment that includes well-balanced meals and physical exercise.
If your BMI is 30-39, you may qualify for surgery if you have weight related medical conditions. These include, among others:
- Diabetes (type II)
- High blood pressure
- Sleep apnea
- Gastroesophageal reflux
- High cholesterol / triglycerides
- Depression because of obesity
- Degenerative arthritis
If your BMI is less than 30, you probably do not qualify for weight-loss surgery. Medical weight loss options which include diet and exercise are probably most appropriate for you – talk to your doctor for advice.
If your BMI is 40 or greater, you may qualify for surgery without necessarily having any of the medical complications listed above.If you’re a candidate for surgery and you are ready to make a life-long commitment to change your habits, weight loss surgery may be an option for you.
Before deciding whether or not you are a candidate for bariatric surgery, your doctor will conduct a comprehensive medical evaluation that may include blood tests, EKG, chest x-ray, pulmonary function test, upper gastrointestinal x-ray, gallbladder ultrasound and/or a psychiatric evaluation.