Find Out if Weight Loss Surgery is For You
Use our BMI Calculator to find out if you are a candidate for weight loss surgery.
People who wish to undergo obesity surgery should meet with Dr. Johnson or Dr. Hart to determine whether they are qualified candidates. Qualified candidates for obesity surgery procedures provided at our practice including gastric sleeve resection, gastric bypass surgery, Biliary Pancreatic Diversion with Duodenal Switch, revision weight loss surgery, and LAP-BAND® System should:
- Be between 18 and 65 years old
- Weigh at least 60 pounds more than their ideal body weight
- Be morbidly obese, or have a body mass index of 40 or higher or have a body mass index of 35-39.9 with one or more severe medical conditions related to morbid obesity, such as high cholesterol, hypertension, heart disease, stroke, sleep apnea, fatty liver disease, type 2 diabetes, cancer, osteoarthritis, and acid reflux disease
- Note: the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has recently approved LAP-BAND® System surgery for patients with at least a 30 BMI plus one or more comorbidity conditions (a severe health condition related to obesity). This new approval makes it possible for millions of patients who may not have qualified for LAP-BAND® Adjustable Gastric Banding surgery in the past to become candidates for the procedure.
- Have unsuccessfully attempted to lose weight through multiple documented weight loss methods
- Be free from drug or alcohol dependence
- Be free from emotional, medical, psychological, or other special conditions that may complicate obesity surgery
- Have a thorough understanding of obesity surgery and what it can and cannot accomplish
- Maintain realistic goals and expectations for obesity surgery
- Be highly motivated and committed to making sensible nutrition and lifestyle changes that are necessary for successful weight loss after obesity surgery
There are other specific factors that are important in determining whether an individual makes a good candidate for an obesity surgery procedure. Dr. Hart and Dr. Johnson are experienced surgeons who can determine which obesity surgery procedure is right for you during your consultation. Please contact our practice to schedule an appointment today. To qualify for your consultation, please print and fill out the online medical form.