Brussel sprouts are in season during fall and winter. These cruciferous vegetables provide 3 gm of fiber per 1 cup serving. When shopping, select fresh brussel sprouts that are bright green and the leaves are firmly together or choose a frozen option that is packaged without a sauce.
Ways to use Brussel sprouts:
- Roast with olive oil at 400 degrees for 40 minutes
- Mix them into a vegetable stir-fry
- Make chicken kabobs with onion, brussel sprouts, and bell peppers
- Add steamed brussel sprouts to a whole wheat pasta with pesto
- Shave raw brussel sprouts to put in a salad