Importance of calcium: Calcium is the most abundant mineral in the body. While it is predominately found in your bones and teeth, 1% of it is found circulating in your bodily fluids. It is responsible for the rigid structure of bones and teeth and plays a critical role in muscle contraction/relaxation, blood clotting, hormone secretion, enzymatic reactions and nerve impulses.
Recommendation: 1500 mg calcium citrate/day (for all bariatric surgery patients)
Don’t always trust your bloodwork. Since you have a skeletal system FULL of calcium; when your blood level of calcium drops the body can pull calcium from the bones to bring that level back up. So therefore, listen to your surgeon and dietitian in regards to calcium supplementation needs.
5 New uses for Greek yogurt
- Take Greek yogurt and freeze for a creamy dessert treat
- Use plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream
- Mix powdered ranch seasoning in plain Greek yogurt and dip in raw vegetables
- Spread ranch dip (see above) on deli meat and roll-up
- Mix vanilla Greek yogurt in warm oatmeal to increase protein and make a creamy breakfast treat