- 1 ½ cups pitted dates
- 1 cup hot water
- ¾ cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 2 cold eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup plus 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- Sea salt for sprinkling (if desired)
For the glaze:
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp honey or other natural syrup -type sweetener
- 1 tbsp melted butter or coconut oil
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- Grease or line an 8 X 8 baking pan. Preheat oven to 350F. In a food processor or blender, puree the dates and hot water until smooth. Measure out 1 cup of the paste (should be close to 1 cup exactly) and transfer to large bowl with the butter.
- Cream the butter and date paste until smooth.
- Add eggs, one at a time and vanilla extract, mixing until fluffy and smooth.
- Add cocoa and flour and mix on low until well combined.
- Spread batter into prepared pan, smoothing with the back of a spoon. Sprinkle a little sea salt on top (if desired).
- Bake for 18-23 min, or until edges are set. Allow pan to cool while you prepare the glaze.
- Whisk together the butter, honey and cocoa powder. Add vanilla and whisk until smooth. If glaze seems too runny, add a dash more cocoa powder. If it seems too thick, add a splash of milk.
- Drizzle over the brownies and sprinkle with more sea salt (if desired)
Cut into 16 servings: 169 calories, 10 g fat, 6.2 g saturated fat, 3.5 g unsaturated fat, 20.5 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 14.3 g sugar (mostly from the dates), 2.6 g protein