In order to reach the protein goal of 60-80gm of protein per day, protein shakes and protein bars are a helpful way to increase protein intake. Protein balls are an easy snack to make and add variation to your protein intake. All protein balls are made from the same base and can be customized based on flavor preferences. A standard protein ball base is 1.5 cup oats, 1 cup of natural nut butter, ¼ cup honey, and 2 scoops of protein powder. Below are some recipe ideas.
Monster Cookie Peanut Butter Protein Balls
- 1.5 cups rolled oats
- 3 Tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 scoops of vanilla whey protein powder
- ¾ cup natural peanut butter
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips
- ¼ cup Unreal chocolate gems
- 1-2 tsp of water or low fat milk if need
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, flaxseed, chia seeds, and protein powder. Then add the peanut butter, vanilla extract, chocolate chips, chocolate gems and honey.
- Form the mixture into small balls then refrigerate until firm.
- Can last for 2 weeks in the refrigerator in a sealed container and can freeze for up to 2 months.
Other Flavor combinations to try with the standard energy ball base:
- Oatmeal raisin- add ½ cup raisins and 1 tsp of cinnamon
- Chocolate- add ½ cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
- Almond Joy- 2 tbsp of shredded coconut and ¼ cup of mini chocolate chips
- Cake Batter- use vanilla protein powder and 2 tbsp of sprinkles